First skull castings. 

I did two castings of the skull today. The mold works great, so I’m very happy about that. The resin flowed well and with a little tilting there’s no air getting trapped. All the details came through. 

The only issue with the casts, there are a ton of tiny surface bubbles. No idea why. I’m using a new resin. Other than that, nothing new. Unfortunately, I’m not able to pressure cast this piece or that would be problem solved. *shrugs* I’ll have to do some research and see if I can’t figure it out. 

There is a porous bone like surface quality to the castings though. So, with some sanding and finishing, maybe it will just work to my advantage :p 

   

Skull mold. The Aftermath.

Had a sketchy moment where I thought my silicone had fused together. A little work and the two halves came apart. So. Yea. That’s good 😉

Overall, considering I have no idea what I’m doing, I’m happy with the results. One bubble on one of the eye sockets, but that can be cleaned. 
I’ll pour the first casting later this week. Hopefully airflow is good and I won’t have too many issues there!  

 

Under pressure. Under pressure. Pressure.

Finally got a pressure pot! Welcome to 2016 n00b. 

  

  

Skull mold 

Skull mold. Not to be confused with skálmöld, an awesome Icelandic band 😉

A n y w a y s. My back is feeling a little better, so I was able to get some work done on this mold!

  

Hurt my back last week, so…

instead of molding the skull, I’ve had to switch gears and do some ZBrush work on another project. We are making a Dorothy doll this year to accompany the Toto doll. She will be a mix of traditional sculpting, fabrication, 3D sculpting, and 3D printing. Again, all based off of my old character designs from school 🙂

I got her boots ZBrushed:

Dorothy_Boots_ZBrush_Render_FINAL_001

Up next will be her lower arms, then head.

Alcove_Project_Dorothy_Concept_Combo_02_reduced

Alcove_Project_Dorothy_Concept_Combo_01_reduced